As your Landlords Agents, Castle Estates wants you to feel comfortable in your home and when something goes wrong we want you to know that it will be dealt with as quickly as possible.
If you wish to notify us of a repair you can submit through the form below or our PropertyFile App
However before reporting repairs please note that in many instances they may be your responsibility to deal with. Please see guidance notes below and generally the more information you give it will assist determining which contractor to send out. A list of our common Q & A’s is detailed below and you can click on the relevant link for more information.
Before reporting repairs please note that in many instances they may be your responsibility to deal with. Please see guidance notes below and generally the more information you give it will assist determining which contractor to send out.
We would like to confirm that Castle Estates only manages your property on behalf of your Landlord and has no authority to instruct, other than emergencies, any works without their consent. It would therefore be appreciated if you could please bear with us if we are having difficulty in making contact with them or obtaining their approval to complete any necessary works. In some instance they will ask us to obtain estimates and for example we have Landlords living overseas within different Time Zones to that of the UK.
Your tenancy documentation will supply a contact number for emergency calls and will only be available out of office hours to assist you in the event of a real emergency. When telephoning in an Emergency please give as much information as to the type of emergency. You will need to give your name, full address and contact telephone numbers.
PLEASE NOTE THAT CONTACTING THE EMERGENCY NUMBER OF A PROBLEM DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE ISSUE WILL BE DEALT WITH OUTSIDE NORMAL WORKING HOURS. THE NUMBER YOU WILL BE GIVEN IS PROVIDED PRIMARILY TO DEAL WITH REAL EMERGENCIES – FOR EXAMPLE GAS LEAKS, COMPLETE LOSS OF POWER OR MAJOR WATER LEAKS
FOR GAS LEAKS CALL 0800 912 1700
LOSS OF ELECTRICITY CALL MOBILE 0330 1010 222 OR LANDLINE 0800 092 9290
WATER PRESSURE OR QUALITY OF WATER CALL SCOTTISH WATER 0800 077 8778
If during your tenancy you lose your house keys, whatever the circumstances, you are responsible for the cost of replacement. If we are unable to supply keys out of hours and if you lock yourself out of the property you must either wait until we contact you or instruct a locksmith at your own expense. If you occupy a flat in a block which has a common entrance door key you may also be charged the cost of providing all tenants in the block with new keys. Please note an administration fee is payable for any out of hours support.
You must return the full complement of keys to the property at the end of the tenancy and you will be charged for the cost of any duplicate keys or lock changes required if you do not do this.
⇑GO TO TOP
WHAT ARE MY RESPONSIBILITIES
When you rent a property you are expected to deal with day to day housekeeping issues as if you owned your own home and we have prepared the following list for your guidance:-
- General Cleaning
- Cleaning Windows
- Clearing choked sinks WC’s and the like
- Dealing with vermin infestations, birds’ nests, ants, wasps and bees
- Keep the property free from condensation and ensure it is sufficiently aired and warmed at all times during the tenancy
- Keep the drains free from obstruction
- Keep the chimneys swept as often as necessary
- Not to put down, or allow to be put down, any damaging oil, grease or other harmful or corrosive substances into the washing or sanitary appliances or drains within the premises
- Clear any blockages in any gutters and down pipes and ensure all covers of surface water drains are kept free from leaves and any other rubbish or debris that might cause a flood.
- Replacing light bulbs
- Replacing Batteries in and weekly testing smoke, heat and CO Alarms
- Topping up boilers
- Cleaning filters in washing machines, air vents, cooker hoods, Hoovers and the like
- Cleaning Shower heads and extract fans.
MY BOILER IS NOT WORKING I HAVE NO HEAT OR HOT WATER
- Read the instructions…normally on the boiler
- The boiler has not been accidentally switched off
- The thermostats and timers are set correctly
- The thermostatic valves are at correct temperature
- If there is air in the radiators they may require “bleeding”
- The pressure in the boiler has dropped…top up boiler if this is the case
- If none of the above please contact the office
MY SHOWER IS NOT WORKING
- If fed from the boiler please check above
- If it is an electric shower check the isolator is switched on
- If it on but not lit check the circuit breaker in the main consumer unit has not tripped.
- If it continues to trip please contact the office.
- If none of the above please contact the office.
WATER LEAK THROUGH ROOF OR CEILING
- If you are in a flat contact your neighbour above and alert them of problem. If there is no-one in arrange to turn off the water supply in the street. Contact the office advising of any damage
- With any leak clear away furniture below, pull back carpets and put down bowls buckets and towels to capture the water.
- If the leak is due to a storm, remember contractors will not go onto a roof due to safety grounds
- If it a serious flood capable of seriously damaging the property contact the office immediately. If out of hours contact the police.
- In an emergency a plumber will only turn off the supply they will not source and repair the defect
WATER FROM MY FLAT IS FLOODING PROPERTY BELOW
- Check all baths, wash hand basins, WCs and water tanks or cylinders to ensure there are no taps running causing an overflow.
- Check there are no leaks from washing machines or dishwashers
- If the leak is continuous and there are no signs of a problem turn off stop cock.
- Stop using showers and baths if leak is intermittent until the fault has been identified
- In heavy storms drainage and roof pipes can choke and block causing water to back up and discharge into a property.
HOW DOES THE NIGHTSTORE HEATING WORK
- Nightstore heating is designed to take advantage of cheaper off peak tariffs normally between 22.00 – 07.00 daily. It works by heating up the storage bricks inside each heater at the lower tariffs and then discharging the heat during the day. It does the same with hot water by heating the water in the hot water cylinder and making it available during the day.
- The Main Switch is normally in the Kitchen but can also be found in hall cupboards or next to Consumer Unit. Leave the switch on at all times and a red light will come on during the activation period.
- Switch on storage heaters individually at switch on the wall.
- Each storage heater will have two knobs, input and output, input – controls the amount of heat that is stored and output controls the amount of heat released.
- For additional hot water there is a boost switch on the Main Switch which normally takes up to one hour to fully heat up the water tank
MY ELECTRICITY HAS FAILED
Firstly check that there has not been a general power failure in your area. Are you neighbors without power, have the street lights gone out. If that’s the case phone the supplier for your area. If this is not the case and only some of the lights/sockets are all/part not working:-
- Check individual circuit breakers in the Consumer Unit, all the switches should be up. Lights/sockets can often be tripped by a light bulb blowing or an appliance being faulty and tripping the circuit. Replace faulty light bulbs and check fuses in appliance plug.
- If problems still persists call us and we will send out an engineer, but remember if it is found you have not checked the above you will be responsible for the call out charge.
MY WASHING MACHINE/FRIDGE/FREEZER/DISH WASHER/HOOVER HAS BROKEN DOWN
- In the first instance refer to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Check fuse in plug has not blown
- Check water supply has not been disconnected
- Check that washing machines and dish washers are not overloaded
- Check all filters and ensure they are not blocked.
- Check bag is not full in Hoover
- Check there are no obstructions hindering normal usage
Please remember that you will be liable for the costs arising as a result of any misuse of the appliances or non compliance of manufacturer’s instructions provided
⇑GO TO TOP
MY TOILET/SINK/DRAINS ARE BLOCKED
Blockages and associated costs are the responsibility of the tenant, try using a strong drain cleaner or plunger to move the blockage. In certain circumstances you may require to appoint a specialist firm or plumber. If you require advice and assistance please contact our office